Resources & Literature
Estate Identification Number (EIN)
PLEASE NOTE: The estate identification number is required to open an estate account. The number is provided free through the federal government.
Frequently Requested Phone Numbers
- Internal Revenue Service – to obtain an estate identification number (EIN)
PHONE: 1 (800) 829-4933
- Salem County Bar Association – Lawyer Referral Service – to assist members of the community to get in contact with lawyers who practice in a particular area of the law.
PHONE: (856) 935-5629
- Salem County Clerk’s Office – to obtain copies of deeds & mortgages recorded in Salem County.
PHONE: (856) 935-7510 ext. 8206
- Salem County Historical Society
PHONE: (856) 935-5004
- Salem County Office on Aging
PHONE: (856) 935-7510 ext. 8622
- Salem County Surrogate’s Court
PHONE: (856) 935-7510 ext. 8323
- Salem County Veteran’s Services
PHONE: (856) 339-8603
- US Dept. of Veterans Affairs
PHONE: 1 (800) 827-1000
- Social Security Administration (NJ)
PHONE: 1 (800) 772-1213 OR 1 (800) 325-0778
- South Jersey Legal Services, Inc.
PHONE: 1 (800) 496-4570 OR 1 (800) 691-0494
- State of New Jersey Department of Health Division on Aging
PHONE: 1 (800) 792-9745
WEB – Senior Benefits: http://www.state.nj.us/health/seniorbenefits/services.shtml
WEB – Aging and Community Services: http://www.state.nj.us/health/senior/index.shtml
- State of New Jersey Department of the Treasury Division of Taxation Inheritance & Estate Tax Bureau
PHONE: (609) 292-5033 OR 1 (609) 292-5035
- State of New Jersey Department of Health Division of Vital Statistics – obtain birth, death & marriage certificates
PHONE: (609) 292-4087 ext. 582
TOLL FREE: 1 (866) 649-8726
Glossary of Terms
- Administrator (also known as Personal Representative) – Person or institution appointed by the court to manage and distribute the estate of a person who dies without a will.
- Administrator Ad Prosequendum – Person designated by the Court to carry out the terms of a Will where the Will fails to name an executor.
- Beneficiary – Person named to receive property or benefits.
- Codicil – An addition or supplement made to change or add provisions to a will.
- Contingent beneficiary – Receiver or property or benefits if first-named beneficiary dies before receiving all benefits.
- Contract – Legally enforceable agreement.
- Decedent – A deceased person.
- Devise – To give real or Personal Property.
- Estate – Everything a person owns, real and personal property
- Executor, Executrix – (also known as a Personal Representative) – A person or institution named in the will to carry out the provisions and directions of the will.
- Intestate – A person who dies without making a valid will.
- Legatee – Person who receives personal property under a will.
- Levy – To collect by assessment.
- Lien – A charge upon property, real or personal, for the satisfaction of a debt.
- Personal property – Intangible property, such as stocks, bonds, or bank accounts; and tangible property such as furniture, automobile, jewelry.
- Probate – Official proof of the genuineness of a will.
- Real Property – Land and buildings.
- Surrogate – A judicial officer who is Judge of the Surrogate’s Court and deputy clerk to the Superior Court.
- Tenants in common – Two or more persons owning individual interests in property.
- Testator, Testatrix – The person who makes a will.
- Trust – A fiduciary arrangement that allows a third part, or trustee, to hold assets on behalf of a beneficiary or beneficiaries.
- Trustee – Person or institution that holds property, authority, or a position of trust or responsibility for the benefit of another.
- Waiver – A legal instrument relinquishing a right or lien.
- Will – A legal declaration of the manner in which a person wishes his estate divided after death.
- Witness – Person who observed the signing of a will and also attests to the signatures.
- Constitutional Officers Association of New Jersey – https://coanj.com
- Kelley Blue Book – https://www.kbb.com
- New Jersey Inheritance and Estate Tax Forms – https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/taxprnt.shtml
- New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission – https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/TransferringVehicle.htm
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Lawyer Referral Service – www.njsba.com/for-the-public/lawyer-referral-service.html
- New Jersey Vital Statistics – https://www.nj.gov/health/vital/index.shtml
- New Jersey Will Registry – https://www.state.nj.us/state/dos_will_registry.html
- Salem County Bar Association – Lawyer Referral Service – www.salemcountybar.org
- Salem County Board of Elections – https://elections.salemcountynj.gov
- Salem County Clerk – https://salemcountyclerk.org
- Salem County Health & Human Services – https://health.salemcountynj.gov
- Salem County Prosecutor – https://www.salemcountyprosecutor.org
- Salem County Tax Office – https://salemcountytax.com
- Salem County Veterans Services – https://veterans.salemcountynj.gov
- Social Security – https://www.socialsecurity.gov
- State of New Jersey, Department of Health – https://NJ.gov/health
- Veterans Affairs – https://www.va.gov/
- Salem County Bar Association– Lawyer Referral Service – (856) 935-5629
- South Jersey Legal Services – Free Last Will & Testament and Power of Attorney for those that qualify. Primary Phone #: 800-496-4570 (Mon-Fri 9:00a – 1:00p) Secondary Phone #: 856-691-0494 (Mon-Fri 9:00a – 5:00p)
Note that the Salem County Surrogate’s Court cannot recommend legal representation for you.
- January 17, 2022 – Monday, Martin Luther King Day
- February 21, 2022 – Monday, Washington’s Birthday / Presidents’ Day
- April 15, 2022 – Friday, Good Friday
- May 30, 2022 – Monday, Memorial Day
- July 4, 2022 – Monday, Independence Day
- September 5 2022 – Monday, Labor Day
- October 10, 2022 – Monday, Columbus Day
- November 8, 2022 – Tuesday, Election Day
- November 11, 2022 – Friday, Veterans’ Day
- November 24, 2022 – Thursday, Thanksgiving Day
- November 25, 2022 – Friday, Thanksgiving Friday
- December 26, 2022 – Monday, Christmas Day
- January 2, 2023 – Monday, New Year’s Day 2023