Salem County Surrogate Court

856.935.7510 x8323
Use Our Contact Form

Mon – Fri : 8:30am – 4:30pm
Call for Appointment

Translate this Page:


Home Visits For Probate Paperwork

In some cases, Surrogate Burke can come to the home of Executors or Administrators to complete probate paperwork if the person is unable to make it into the office. Please contact our office for information about situations when a home probate can be done.

Marriage Ceremonies

Due to the volume of Estate work our office is experiencing, we must limit marriage ceremonies; contact our office to inquire if we have availability.

Surrogate Nicki A. Burke is available to perform marriage ceremonies. The ceremony can be held in the Courthouse or at your formal New Jersey venue. You may call the office at (856) 935-7510 ext. 8323 to schedule your date. There is no fee for the Surrogate to perform your ceremony.

You can obtain all necessary information and the application form at the Local Registrar’s office or on the State of New Jersey website.

State of New Jersey brochure: “Entering into a Marriage or Civil Union in New Jersey”
Download as a PDF  |  Download as a Word Document

After you apply: There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period beings when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72 hour waiting period for a remarriage; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage.

  1. The marriage license application is made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
  2. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.

Day of the Ceremony please bring: marriage license, two witnesses, age 18 or older, and rings, if using.


For individuals who are currently in a marriage in New Jersey or are in a marriage in another state or country there exists the option to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a Remarriage.

In order to apply for a Remarriage the couple must provide proof of their existing marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the guidelines above to completing the license application.

The process for a Remarriage License are the same as for the Marriage License, except that the Remarriage License must be accompanied by the proof of existing marriage and once the application is filed there is no 72 hour waiting period before the license is issued.

Please see New Jersey website for Same Sex Marriage Frequently Asked

Notary Public Services

The notary program assists with notarizing basic documents for Salem County residents.
There is no fee for this service.
A photo ID is required for the identity of the person requesting the notary service (the person who is the signer).
We cannot notarize certain documents such as Power of Attorney (POA), Last Will & Testament or other similar legal documents.

Public Speaking Services

Surrogate Nicki Burke has a tremendous amount of information that all adults, starting at the age of 18, should be aware of. This information is invaluable when planning and creating a Will or Power of Attorney, researching archives for family tree information, unclaimed property held by the State of New Jersey and much, much more. Surrogate Burke is available to speak to groups large and small. Presentations can be tailored to fit your group.

If you would like to schedule Surrogate Burke for a speaking engagement, please call 856-935-7510 ext. 8323.